Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is letterpress printing?
Letterpress printing is a type of relief printing that has history dating back to the 1400s. Ink is pressed onto paper. These days it is combined with thicker and softer specialty papers to create a deep impression, printing you can see and feel. It is generally a single-colour printing process, so we do not print in full colour.
Do you have a minimum order?
We will print as few or as many as you want, however the costs of setting up are the same whether you have us print 1 or 1,000. The more you print, the cheaper it is on a per piece basis.
How should I submit artwork ready for printing?
- Artwork is to be submitted in high resolution, print ready, spot colour (not CMYK) PDF format. Line thickness for text and images need to be at least 0.5pt thick. If artwork bleeds over the edge of the print, please provide at least 3mm bleed mark.
- Please specify colours as Pantone system colours (solid uncoated). This allows us to output your file as separations in the intended colours. If you are hoping to have a particular colour, we recommend you refer to an actual Pantone colour swatch book. We hand-mix our inks to match as closely to the Pantone colour as possible. You are welcome to come to the Print Shop to select colours with our swatch books.
- If you have multiple items in a single document, please define the separate pieces with either crop marks or a key line.
- We are always happy to look at files and give technical feedback if you have any doubts that the artwork is set up correctly.
How long does the process take?
Turnaround is typically less than two weeks from the confirmation of order and payment. We are a small shop, so if we are busy the turnaround can sometimes be longer. Please let us know what your turnaround requirements are when requesting a quote.
Are business cards and invitations supposed to be specific sizes?
Business cards and invitations can be whatever size and shape you like. We have found that there are some preferred sizes such as 55x90mm for business cards, and 120x180mm or 5"x7" for invitations. If you'd like to have your cards/ invitations a different size or shape, we are happy to make that happen.
Do you design business cards and invitations?
We are solely a letterpress print shop and do not offer design services. However, if you require assistance with artwork we would be happy to refer you to one of the many talented graphic designers with whom we work.
Can you add colour to the edges of my business card/ invitation/ stationery?
Yes, we sure can. We try to match the edge colouring as close as possible to the specified Pantone colour. But please be aware, there may be some colour variation due to the paints we use. If you’re after a specific colour, please make sure you check with us before ordering.
Can you print white ink on black/ dark coloured paper?
Letterpress inks are translucent, so light color inks don’t show up well on dark or saturated-color stocks. We recommend printing with silver or gold ink for a contrasting colour against dark stock as their pigments are more dense. We use uncoated papers and metallic inks will appear matte, ie silver ink will look more like a medium grey with a hint of shimmer, and gold ink will look more like a medium brown with a hint of shimmer. We are happy to chat with you about various printing options.
Do you need apprentices or offer internships?
At present we do not have an apprenticeship or internship program. While we appreciate the interest in our little shop, offering a program like this is not something we’re able to do currently. We will update this page when that changes.
Can you make printing plates for other people?
Yes, we offer letterpress plate making service. The cost of plates vary depending on the size of the artwork:
- Please supply artwork in PDF files.
- If the artwork contains more than one colour, please separate the colours in the artwork. Eg: the artwork contains two colours, separate the two colours into separate artworks.
- We are always happy to look at files and give technical feedback if you have any doubts that the art is set up correctly.
If you have a question, please do not hesitate to contact us via our Contact Form.